Monday, August 25, 2008

What am I getting myself into....

I woke up at 4:45 a.m this morning. It is now 2:00 a.m and I lie awake worrying and thinking "what on earth have I gotten myself into". Today was the first day of teacher training. First and foremost, I should mention that the ENTIRE thing was in Spanish. Secondly, I should mention that my Spanish training is almost nonexistant. Annie did give a very BRIEF translation in English, but I sat in a sweltering hot room for several hours listening to her go on about school policies in a language which I did not understand. Afterwards, I was able to get the assignment from one of my fellow volunteers; Eric, who is fluent in Spanish. I am starting to worry immensely about my ability to carry out my job responsibilities. I am hoping to keep the faith and be positive about things as the start of the school year approaches, but it is impossible to hide my apprehension. 30 children English speaking children with 2 teachers was a challenge enough. But 46 children who speak Spanish with an English speaking teacher? It is looking like the challenge of a lifetime....keep me in your prayers, I surely need them right now!

On the upside, I had dinner again tonight with all of the volunteers and I had an AMAZING time! Around 10p.m, it started downpouring and I grabbed a bar of soap outside and proceeded to start showering in the rain. It wasn't raining hard enough to wash my hair, but I have to admit that I feel very clean and refreshed right now. It is amazing how quickly one can learn to appreciate running water! It was a really nice night. All of us sat around and discussed our reasons for being here and what we wanted to gain from this experience. I shared with everyone that Honduras for me restores my faith in the good of humanity. I feel beyond blessed to be here. These people have so little material wise. But what they don't have in money and material goods, they make up for in love and kindness. The fact that I get to spend a year amongst these beautiful people is an amazing blessing! I love and miss you all though; and wish you were sharing in this experience with me!

P.S Mom, I found my bed sheets! They were in a box marked "adult diapers". Haha...wish you guys were here!.....

1 comment:

Danie said...

I'm sure you wish your mom was in the rain with you too! lol

Good luck with the Spanish!

I miss you!!