Friday, March 13, 2009

Go Light Your World

The past couple of days have been difficult for me due to some things that have been happening here...but I know I am overdue for an update; so I wanted to share with you a story from today.

I went for a 90 minute run after work today to clear my head after a very stressful week. I decided that it was safe enough to run through one of the neighborhoods on a dirt road close to my home; as I know two of the women who clean the school at Santa Clara live on that road. I've been told here if you know someone who lives on the road you are traveling , that it is safe. Someone is looking out for you.

In any case, I was jogging along when I came across Majorie. I've only met Majorie three times. She has come across me standing near the Esso station waiting for the bus to school in the morning. A kind-hearted old woman, she stops to "talk" to me each time she sees me as she heads off to work to sell bolsas de agua (bottles of water) near the center of town. I'd be lying if I said I understood a single word she says to me. I simply smile and say "si" and act enthusiastic. She speaks at lightening speed and has no teeth, but has an amazing beauty about her nonetheless. She saw me running in the street and started jumping up and down to flag me down and grabbed my arm, speaking a mile a minute. The only thing I caught was her mentioning something about a gringa that seems to like the sun a lot. She let me to a home made of stick and pieces of cardboard and introduced me to every single member of her family as her "hermana" which means "sister" in Spanish. I must have met 25 extended family members, who all kissed me on the cheek and hugged me tightly as if I were in fact a member of their family. Yet another humbling experience! To be out for an afternoon run and to have someone bring me "home" as if I were a member of their family. That seems to be a common theme here. People treat you as though you are their family. It's amazing the love that strangers here have for one another. I oftentimes wonder if the people here see me passing on the road and think that I am better than them, and that I am here to try to "save" them. Then; when I actually engage in conversation with them, I realize that they do not have that impression at all. I feel so grateful to be having this experience with these beautiful people. I am college educated and have so much opportunity for me at home, yet these people who have nothing, who have a third grade education; are offering me much more than I could offer them. The love I am enveloped in on a daily basis is amazing. I can't tell you how many times I come home at night and just lay in my bed and cry, amazed by the beauty of the people around me here. I don't think I am going to ever be able to leave.

After leaving Majorie's house; I decied to head to Pay y Bien; which is the local bakery on the same road the orphanage is on. I have TONS of pastries in my freezer (cheesecake, ice cream AND dark chocolate) thanks to Bree and Susan's birthday presents for me but I decided to go regardless. I picked up a dozen donuts and headed towards a poor barrio. There are many children here who I usually encounter =who approach me begging for a lempira. Today I approached them telling them I had a present for them and handed them the donuts. The smiles that appeared on their faces will stay in my mind forever. I can't even begin to tell you the joy that it brought me to just see these children be normal children for once...and savor a sweet treat. The real treat was for ME! On days where I feel like I am surrounded by so much sadness, I need to do things like this. I then ended up engaging in an hour long game of soccer to which I lost miserably to, but it was worth it to see the children's faces light up when I announced that I had a gift for them. Everyday, I long for them to have a normal life. where they are well fed and cared for, and go to bed with a full stomach. My time with them is beautiful, yet heartbreaking. What is equally amazing to me is the fact that I am now comfortable enough here that I can go off on my own and enjoy all of these experience solo. I love going off on my own here and interacting with these people! What was supposed to be a normal day out running to clear my head turned into a memorable day....then again, I can't think of many days that AREN'T memorable here. I am continually trying to soak up every ounce of beauty and love around me, in fear that I will have no choice but to leave in 3 months. I can't imagine leaving this beautiful country, these people people, and all the love that is surrounding me anytime soon!

5 comments:

Danie said...

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. It makes me feel like I am almost there. I wish I could go back this year so much!

I miss you, but I know once you leave, Honduras will miss you even more!

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin
I am once again truly touched by what you write. I feel as though I am right there with you. I can feel the love you have for these people. I have been touched by it myself during our visits there. However, for you it is tenfold. I can understand how sad it is to think about leaving these people. God has given you an opportunity to see what is important in life, and now it is up to you, to do something with those feelings. We are so proud of the woman you are becoming. Love
Mom

Anonymous said...

amazing story and so well told

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable. What a story, and I cant believe that this is happening to you as we speak. You are truly blessed to know such love.

Anonymous said...

I love your stories. The people that you write about are beautiful people. They are loving people