Friday, March 27, 2009

Quick Update

Unfortunately, this posting isn't going to be nearly as intense or interesting as my previous few; but I know people read my blog religiously so I just wanted to check in and let you know that all has been going well here in Juti.

It's been a crazy couple of weeks. I am going to be taking almost an entire extra week of for Semana Santa vacation, so I am in the process of trying to finish report cards and write out lesson plans for a substitute. In addition, I've decided to take on some extra work with the Olancho Aid board so I am working on going through some of that information as well.

Thing here have been "normal". It seems as though I have just sort of settled into my life here and it is just as busy (and stressful!) as it can be in the States. I have been working long hours and throwing myself into the things that i love to do. I have never felt happier or more comfortable during my time here. I continue to cherish every moment that I have here.

This weekend should be an interesting; yet someone emotional one. It is Susan and Bree's last weekend before they depart for the States. It's kind of bittersweet because Bree and I have shared in this journey together for 8 months and she will leave on Thursday to go back to her life in the States and I will continue doing what I've been doing here. I know that she reads this, so i want to wish her the best of luck with everything that she has coming up ahead of her over the next couple of months (including a BIG MOVE! SAN DIEGO BABY!) In any case, we are heading to Ixa's (principal of Cardinal's) country house tomorrow to go swimming and eat ridiculous amounts of Honduran cuisine. I think on Sunday; Susan and I will head into Catacamas to visit the caves once again (she hasn't seen them yet). The work week next week will be a series of emotional goodbyes for my Companeras de Casa...Monday night we have dinner with some of Bree's university students. Tuesday; we are heading over to Wendita's for some typical Honduran cuisine. I'm so glad I don't have to say these goodbyes yet. I can't even THINK about leaving Wendy right now! I WILL be leaving soon though. For a brief visit to the States. Next Saturday I willl board the plane once again and head to Boston for a MUCH needed vacation. I can't wait to see my friends and family. I especially can't wait to go to Fenway to see my Sox play. "You can take the girl out of Boston, but you can't take the Boston out of the girl!"

Love and miss you all! Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers right now as I make decisions about next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin
I know that the next few days will be very emotional. Just remember the good things and all the wonderful times you have spent with Bree and Susan. Please give them my love and my best wishes for them, and all that they do in the future. Mom

Anonymous said...

Erin,
I am sure this will be very difficult for you. You have made such wonderful new friends. Just think of all the places you will have to visit in the future. Good friends are forever. Please give the girls my best. Looking forward to seeing you in a week or so.........Kathy

Sue said...

Erin,
I recently read about you in the Spellman "Tradition" magazine. I too have visited Honduras a number of times, but not to work as you are. I can appreciate what a great experience this must be for both yourself and the people of Juticalpa. Keep up the good work and positive attitude, and if you see Bishop Muldoon around town, give him a hug from his niece for me!

Sue McCabe