Thursday, October 30, 2008

The end of the first quarter!

The rain has stopped finally! I have been back at work for the past week, and boy; does it feel good to be back! I feel as though my class is starting to really come together. The students really seem to finally get the rules of my classroom, and their personalities are starting to shine. Hector Luis is the class clown, who always has a smile on his face. Romnel is my "Eager Beaver" who gets so excited to answer questions that he is always on "red" for calling out answers. Then there's Mario David and Jafeth Alexander; who are the most sensitive, sweet children I have ever met; who insist on giving me 5 hugs a day. Then of course I have my trouble makers; Rodrigo and Roberto; whom I continually have to take a deep breath before addressing as I at times lose my patience with them.

In any case, things are back to "normal" here after the week and a half of flooding. We went out last weekend and assessed some of the damage and it was absolutely heartbreaking. Some of you reading this blog will remember Juan Carlos. If Carlos is Padre's "right hand man" , Juan Carlos is Carlos'. You would never know it from meeting him that he grew up in a house made of sticks and mud, but that is exactly the case. I saw the "home" he grew up in last week, and everything inside it was destroyed. I can't believe that this beautiful, intelligent, kind-hearted person lived under such conditions for so long. You would never know it from meeting him, as he is always so eager to put other's first. I was shocked to learn that 12 people lived in this stick structure, including cousins and aunts and uncles. One of his family members; a 6 year old little girl, is not attending school right now. Her shoes got washed away in the flood, and cannot be replaced because they have no money to do so. Imagine not having the money to buy a pair of shoes to send your child to school? Imagine being a child who will miss days and weeks of school because you don't have the right shoes to attend? This really broke my heart, and as a teacher; I imagine that the public schools are frustrated by this and that it's probably pretty typical. Another one of my coworker's (cleaning staff) home endured some major damage last week as well. She told me that she and her 2 children have been sleeping on the dining room table for the past week as her only bed was destroyed and she doens't have the money to replace it. This is the same woman who brings me my coffee every morning with a smile on her face, and has been excitedly trying to invite myself and the others over for dinner since day one. It is the same woman who last week walked around town with us to help us find an extension cord to hook up our t.v when we could not find one. Her selflessness amazes and inspires me, and I wish there were more I could do to help her. On a positive note; myself and John have started taking up collections from the states and it looks as though we will be able build a better house for Juan Carlos' family out of cement with a better roof. We will also be able to accomplish some other projects. It restores my faith in the good of people as I see these donations rolling in. This whole situation has made me realize just how lucky we truly are for all that we have.

I also have to report that we also have had to endure some complications due to the flooding. Here at the "case de las ninas" we have not had any well water delivered for two weeks. During this time period, I realized that bathing with a 5 gallon bottle of purified water IS possible. I learned JUST how wasteful we are with water in the states. Taking a bucket bath with 2 buckets of water CAN clean you thoroughly. I cannot believe how low maintenance I have become in this country!!! Our water STILL isn't running, so we have resorted to having Carlos come twice a week to deliver us a (very) limited supply of water that we have to be very concious of using. I have made the decision to start showering a couple of times a week at Nazareth (the special needs school) in an effort to conserve water; and found myself turning the water on and off in between soaping up and rinsing despite the fact that their supply is endless.

Anyways, enough rambling!!! I must sign off now as I have to do grades. Our first grading period is over. I cannot believe I am a quarter of the way through my time here! Miss and love you all!

2 comments:

Danie said...

I can see what a great job and what a difference you're making down there! Those kids are so lucky to have you as a teacher!

Anonymous said...

This is a test