Monday, October 20, 2008

The Rain Continues On...

I wish I had happier things to report at this point in time, but unfortunately; I regret to only blog that things here have taken a turn for the worse on the weather front. During many of the days, the sun has come out for a portion of the day. This only leads to looming dark clouds that begin to make their way into the blue sky during the early afternoon. By mid-afternoon, the sky seems to normally go totally grey and it will start pouring by sunset. The rain continues throughout the majority of the night at varying rates. I lay awake in my bed at night thinking of my neighbors who live only a few miles up the road down near the river. On Thursday, school was closed because the river was starting to overflow. I cannot even begin to imagine what that scene looks like now.

The rain has pretty much not let up now since Saturday. Saturday evening, we were lucky enough to be invited over to the Bishop's house to watch a Boston sporting event (which I do not want to blog about right now, as it is too depressing...Boston sports fans know that the wounds run too deep to talk about too quickly following a loss!). In any case, it was POURING buckets so we decided to leave halfway through the game. This was partially due to the rain, and partially due to the fact that I was starting to feel sick to my stomach again. In any case, the water was so deep that we were surprised cars were even able to drive through it (we later learned that Carlos' car in fact did die that night when he was en route to his folks house). The rain continued the past two nights, and there was no school again today.

Since Maria and I both have been sick, we did not go up to Santa Clara today to assess the damage, but I was told by Carlos that the entire school was under several inches of water and that all of the people on that road up to Santa Clara are in pretty big trouble. It is about 11:00pm here and the rain has been falling pretty steadily for several hours, so I do not want to think about how it looks up there now. I am wondering whether or not we will have school tomorrow. I hope and pray that we do. I need to get back into the classroom and get back to what I came here to do. I feel as though I am stuck in a bit of a rut these days and I know it due in large part to the weather; and also that I haven't been feeling my healthiest. Today; I did feel a lot better. I managed to eat pretty regularly and not get sick. I am hoping that this rain will stop so we can get back to school and doing what we were sent here to do. I feel as though that is when I am happiest here: when I am with the children. It always feel as though no matter how difficult things may seem; that the children bring out the beauty in everything here. I am so blessed to have them to learn from everyday. Their positivity and energy amazes me. There is so much potential in so many of these children, and I hope that I can make some bit of a difference while I am here to inspire them and challenge them to see the world beyond here. Please keep everyone here in your prayers and PRAY for a change in the weather. I got an email from my parents tonight and they said that the weather generally improves come November 1st. Thankfully, we are almost through October. Let's hope things get better soon!

Love and miss you all! Remember PRAY FOR SUNSHINE!!!!

No comments: