Thursday, October 16, 2008

Rain, rain, go away...

It has not been an easy week or so here for me. I woke up Sunday morning with severe stomach pains, naseau, and vomiting which lasted the next couple of days. Unfortunately, I was not able to get to the doctor until Tuesday due to the holiday. Carlos took me anyways (despite the fact that I already knew it was something I ate) and it was confirmed. So I spent the first three days of my week in bed praying for the pain to go away. Thankfully, I started to feel a bit better yesterday and was excited to go back to school today. It is now 5:30a.m and I woke up to some bad news.

It has been raining pretty much nonstop here for the past 36 hours or so. We have been in the rainy season since I arrived here; and there has been a good amount of rain every night. Usually, the sky will open up and it will pour for an hour or so and dry out the next morning. I have seen the river relatively high, but the rain always seems to stop before it gets to be a real problem. I guess that isn't the case right now. Although I was home sick yesterday, my roommate arrived home at noon saying that Annie had closed school down early because of the rain. I had heard of snow days, but never rain days until I got to Honduras! In any case, when it rains a lot here; the river overflows. Lots of people live on dirt rolls uphill and their homes become flooded and damaged. Apparently that is what is happening here right now. I checked the weather online, and it looks like we are in the middle of a tropical depression and it could keep raining for the duration of the next two days. I cannot imagine some of the damage that people are receiving to their homes. It is amazing how different things are here. At home; we would view 2-3 days of nonstop rain as an inconvenience. People would be "under the weather" and cranky, just wanting the sun to come out. Here; it is much more than an inconvenience. It puts people's entire lives on hold. Employees at Santa Clara were anxious to get home yesterday, in hopes that they wouldn't find their entire houses under water. I cannot even imagine what it looks like on the big dirt road leading up to the school. This is one of the poorest areas of town and some of the most impoverished conditions I've ever seen. People live in houses made out of mud, dirt, sticks, and metal. Some of the houses I have walked past you can see right through. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be to live in places like this when this type of weather happens. I am sure that area is completely demolished right now. I hate standing by and seeing this type of stuff happen and not be able to do anything about it.

I am also really down in the dumps today because I was eageer to get back to work today. I guess I will be having another lazy day of reading, blogging, and listening to music. (As a side note, we are getting a T.V this weekend, which will be a luxury!). To everyone back home, please keep everyone here in your prayers right now. I am going to see some of this damage to people's homes firsthand that we were all trying to not have to imagine when we were here in April. I love and miss everyone. Hopefully my next post will have something more positive to announce other than food poisoning and flooding!

No comments: