Thursday, December 4, 2008

Floating....

I have been blogging so much lately. I feel as though all of the sudden; I am clearly able to form thoughts and describe the taciturn of emotions I am going through as this experience comes to a climax.
I have to admit that I am floating these past few days. I am feeling a sense of happiness and fulfillment that I have never felt in my life. I feel as though I am on the top of the world when I am in my classroom. I was sick on Monday. I am not sure if was in relation to the delicious tarejetas I had Sunday night with Wendy and here family; but that is neither here nor there. In any case; Annie substituted in my class. She came into my classroom on Tuesday morning to give me an update on the day and told me how amazed she was at the progress my class has made in the past few weeks. It's "la verdad" (the truth)! All of the sudden; things just seem to be clicking for my students. I see the wheels in their heads turning as I present each clearly thought out lesson. I see the delight on their faces when they correctly answer questions. Every morning when I enter my classroom, I am practically knocked over by the embraces of 20 little arms. Yes; my students seem to really be falling in love with me! Sometimes I question why on earth they would love me so much. I feel like the Wicked Witch of the West some days. Sometimes I feel as though my expectations of them are too high. Then I remember what Annie told me when I first arrived here: "DON'T lower your expectations. They ARE capable!". You know what? They are! I am pleased to report that MOST of my students now know their letters and sounds (in English!) and many of them are able to clearly read the vocabulary words I present to them on a weekly basis. I am very proud of myself for not giving up on them, and am now super excited to start each school day and all the challenges it will encompass. I feel as though all of those days that I felt I was falling flat on my face and failing as a teacher are now totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of my goals here. Suddenly doing whatever I have been doing seems to be WORKING and working well!!!! Being with my students reminds me of what I love about these children. I am imperfect. I am grouchy and sometimes impatient. But they love me nonetheless. I am learning a lot more from them than they ever could from me. I just wanted to share with everyone how happy I am here; living each moment here to the fullest and enjoying every smile, tear, and sound of children laughing around me. I know I am making a small difference in the lives of these people here; but this moment in time they are making an even bigger one in mine.

4 comments:

Danie said...

Thanks for constantly keeping us updated with everything you're doing down there... its a great inspiration to all of us back home!

Anonymous said...

I knew that your students and the people of Honduras would make a difference in your life. I have experienced it myself in the short time I was there. I never doubted that you would make a difference in their lifes. Of course I am prejudiced in my opinion.
Love, Dad

Unknown said...

We all have great faith in you and your abilities. It is wonderful to read that you are now starting to see the fruits of your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Erin
I can tell from your words that everything that you do, you do with love. Thats why you are getting love back times twenty. Just keep doing what you are doing, and trust that the Lord has great plans for you and your students