Friday, December 26, 2008

Reflecting From Home

"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. "- Mother Teresa

Upon coming home and having time to reflect upon my experiences in Honduras, a particular picture and series of events keeps replaying in my mind. It is a beautiful picture, one filled with hope, love, appreciation, and a better understanding of the meaning behind Mother Teresa's words.
Two months ago, a dear friend of mine by the name of Juan Carlos lost his humble home and everything that he owned in the horrific flooding in Juticalpa. The other volunteers and myself spent an entire day surveying the wreckage, unable to comprehend what our friends must have been going through. Furthermore, we struggled with the feeling of being so helpless, unable to do much to help those whom we now considered family. We knew the only thing we could do was to ask for your help, and the help of others. You came through.

The image that keeps replaying through my mind is the change in the Juan Carlos' family's life through the generous donations of our family and friends. In October, that image is of a young girl of about 5 crying outside the remains of her home saying she couldn't go to school because her shoes had washed away in the rains and they couldn't afford to by her new ones. She had no bed to sleep in, no place to call home. The day before I left Honduras for Boston; that image changes to the same little girl prancing around a beautiful new home innocently singing "Noche De Paz" ..or "Silent Night". A family who had two months ago lost everything and seemed to have lost all hope now has a beautiful home accentuated by a Christmas tree covered in sparkling lights. Not only do they have a home, but everything within it has been replaced as well.

There are some days where I feel as though I am not making a difference. That I am in fact just making a drop in that ocean. Then I remember Juan Carlos and how that tiny little drop has made such a big difference in his life and the life of his family.

3 comments:

Danie said...

I'm so glad you could share that story with us! And I'm glad you and the other volunteers could help him out. He must be very grateful for you.

I can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

Your words have once again brought tears to my eyes.
You write beautifully and I can picture the before and after and the little girl just as if I were there.

Anonymous said...

Erin
Keep remembering that you are that one drop in the ocean for many people in Honduras. And if you and the other volunteers werent there, Juan Carlos and many other people wouldnt be sleeping well tonight.