Monday, September 1, 2008

The first day of school...

I don't think I have ever been this exhausted in my 27 years of life. Today we started school, and boy was it challenging. However; unlike other challenges I have been met with in life that seem to be impossible, this one I am excited about. Today was nothing short of chaos, and I loved every minute of it (well, aside from the fact that my classroom is about 100 degrees with no air circulation!). First and foremost, I should mention that I have 41 students in all. And they understand a lot more English than they let on. Secondly, I should mention that Honduran children don't have NEARLY the teacher behavioral expectations as children in the states do. So I was met this morning with a group of 20 children who barely understood English, 75% of them boys who kicked and punched one another all morning. I don't think we got much done today other than establishing the fact that "we don't kick our friends" and "we keep our hands and feet to ourselves". I should also mention that I made a child cry today (back to the comment on them knowing a lot more English than they let on!). One of my students, Jose Ricardo; was totally out of control and kept ignoring my requests to behave pretending he did not understand. As soon as I threatened to call his mother though; he understood and started to cry! That was not my intention for the first day, but I have to mean business with these kids according to Annie, Jess and Colleen! I must take their advice! Oh, and I should also mention that my class learned how to put their backpacks on the hooks in the back of the classroom. This is challenging enough with 41 kids who speak English. But 41 who speak Spanish? It is a miracle! This is going to be by far the most difficult job I have ever encountered, but I am determined to do it well! Anyways, more about school tomorrow. I am beyond exhausted right now, but I know you are all anxiously awaiting an update, so I wanted to let you know that I survived the day! Love and miss you all!
Oh yeah..and this entry wouldn't be complete without mentioning this weekend. On Saturday night, I went to a Honduran wedding! I was at the Colonia (where we lived up until last night) and Annie came home and asked if we wanted to go to a wedding. I panicked, thinking I had brought NOTHING super fancy here with me. When I asked what time it was going to start, she said "oh probably a few hours." Well, lo and behold I was in the shower 15 mins later and I heard a honking of a car horn. The people who were taking us had arrived! So I jumped out of the shower (with shampoo still in my hair), threw on a dress with FLIP FLOPS, and ran out the door. We piled 10 people into the back of Henry's family car, and off we went! On the way there, we got caught in a massive rainstorm and had to hide undercover under an overhang on the side of the road! Once there, we danced the Punta and Bachata, and had an absolute blast! I would have to say that Saturday night's festivities were by far the most fun I have had since I arrived here in Honduras. I had SO much fun with Henry's family, and they were so welcoming. Of course I was initially skeptical to go thinking..."who has random people from other country's at their WEDDING?". But like everything else here, we were not only accepted; but welcomed with open arms! After the party, the groom drove Annie, myself, and Maria all the way back to the Colonia so we didn't have to ride in the rain.
Oh, and I know I was going to keep this short (as I fall asleep here at my computer); but two more sidebars. I KNOW I must be adjusting to life here in Honduras. Last night; I killed a bug the size of my head without flinching (O.k that may be a SLIGHT exaggeration!). And for the best news...Carlos was able to get my computer up and running! Therefore, I will blog as much as possible this week! I miss and love all of you so much!!! Donna, I got your email today! Hope Lauren had a great first day of school!

No comments: