Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This has been the most emotionally draining day of my time here in Juticalpa thus far. It started off with some excitement this morning with a closing of school due to the fact that there was no electricity or running water at Santa Clara. Now; you might ask "why would school be closed for no running water? Don't half the kids not have that in their own homes?". Well, the cafeteria fixes HOT lunches for all 300 kids every single day at school so without hot water, everyone would go hungry! In any case, we went ALL the way to school only to get back on the buses and go back home. Half of the parents weren't even called! Here; it seems to be no big deal for the school bus to return an hour later dropping the children off BACK home because school has been cancelled. No one even seemed to bat an eyelash that their children were back home, and the kids didn't seem unusually excited to have an extra day off. Only in Honduras!

In any case, I settled in for yet (another) day of doing essentially nothing here in Juticalpa. There is no T.V here, and I have already read the half or dozen or so novels that were left in my apartment from Jess and Colleen. I decided to slip on my Nikes and my ipod and take a leisurely stroll through town and just have time to process that this is in fact me and this is my life now. I walked around town for about 90 minutes; totally losing track of time and just taking in all of the sights and sounds around me that have become my daily life. I saw the same children I see every afternoon when I set out to get my afternoon treat (a frozen coffee drink!) walking barefoot and carrying their buckets full of fruit to sell to passerby. I stopped to buy some guavas from them and noticed the open sores on their hands and feet, obvious complications of not having access to any type of bandaids or antiseptics to bandage their wounds. I walked past at least 5 of my students in my travels; smiling to myself at the "Misssss! misssssss!" that they called after me as I walked past. I stopped to say "buenos tardes" to the guards who work outside the Hotel Bourqeron and greet me with a smile and give me a sense of comfort and safety when I pass them every single afternoon on the walk home from work. I just realized that I truly am part of the community here. After just one month, it is as though I am no longer a stranger; but have been a part of Juticalpa for much longer. Strangers look out for me. Children stop to say hello and want to hold my hand and walk with me as I stroll pass; usually with groceries in tow. It is a completely different world out here; one where people actually interact with one another. Back home, I usually avoid making eye contact with the people I have contact with on a daily basis to and from work while traveling on the MBTA. Here though; it is much more of a community. Although I communicate simply with a smile or a wave, it is as though we all understand one another and are all looking out for one another.
In any case, during my travels this afternoon; I heard a loud crash up ahead. I was headed to the grocery store; as Annie happened to call me during my stroll to ask me to pick some things up at the pulperia in my neighborhood. I walked towards the scene of the loud crash and saw that a man lay there writhing and bleeding to death. Feeling my stomach churn, I watched as people seemed to just come out of the woodwork to join in on spectating on the accident that had just occured. I did not see exactly what happened (I had probably missed it by a minute, thankfully), but it appears as though it was a middle aged man who was hit by a vehicle while riding his bicycle. I wanted to walk away, but something made me stay. I watched as the police and fire department showed up, along with the local newscasters. I watched as what appeared to be a priest stood over the man and administered last rights. I watched as the people of the neighborhood sat in silence paying their respects to one of their own. Then out of nowhere appeared a man who appeared to be a family member of the victim. He spoke to the police officers and had a younger girl with him who could not have been over 12 years old. I watched as the news was broken to him and was shocked to see him turn to me and hug me while crying. Here I stood on the side of the road with him, a perfect stranger; and it was to me that he turned
for a hug. The gringa. The only real outsider in the crowd. I watched as dozens of eyes seemed to stare.All along throughout my time here; I have thought I was feeling what it was like to be the minority for once. Today; I realized that that is not the case at all. I felt like I was one with the people here for the first time; and it touched my heart to see this man in his deepest shock and pain to turn to me for consolation. I was deeply appreciative that I had purchased sunglasses yesterday (my other ones broke) to hide the tears that were in my eyes. I only hugged that stranger for about 10 seconds, but it felt like an eternity. It was today that I remembered my real reason for wanting to come here. These people may be poor in the material sense, but in spirit and love they are richer than many of us will ever be. I will never forget today and the brief moment of support I was able to offer this stranger. I hope that all of you who read this blog today will offer up a moment of silence for this stranger who's life was cut short by tragedy today. As the crowd started to disperse, I noticed the sounds of the world going on around me. A man with an ice cream cart was ringing his bell; about a dozen children gathered around his side; jumping up and down with Lempira in their hands to purchase a tasty treat. I noticed a crowd of teenager boys roughhousing and kicking a soccer ball. A group of women stood on a street corner, cooing over a newborn baby which one of them held. Life goes on. The scene made me think at once of the idea of the circle of life. On this particular afternoon, a life was cut short. But life continues on. It was very eerie to be amongst such variances in mood and attitude. Now; I must go and lay down for awhile. I think I need a nap! I love and miss you all!!!!

4 comments:

Danie said...

What an amazing story! I miss you Erin. God Bless!!

chesneyfan1 said...

Thanks Danielle! I love reading all of your comments, by the way. They put a smile on my face and they mean a lot to me to know that you are sharing in my journey. I miss you!!! you are the best!

Unknown said...

Hi Erin,
I almost cried today reading your story as I ate my lunch - but I'm at work - not that work would stop me from crying! I immediately thought of the experiences your Mom and I had on that Sunday with Padre. Rest assured that You and your new friends are in my thoughts and prayers every day. I look forward to and love reading all of your stories.
God Bless!

Little Gringa said...

Erin,
Wow. You are love...no matter who you are or where you are. You can hug a complete stranger anywhere in the world...and be love. It's crazy. I'm glad you were there for him, though I know it must have been hard to see this.

Sigue adelante, amiga.
Colleen