Friday, September 12, 2008

Lessons Learned Thus Far...

I am going to keep this brief and to the point; as I am getting up at the crack of dawn to leave for Tegus, but I wanted to share with you a few "Lessons Learned' thus far in my 3 weeks in Honduras.

First of all:

Honduran teachers are MUCH different than American teachers. In Honduras, we save major, detailed projects for Friday afternoon. Generally, we begin them at 2:45 (15 minutes before the bus is to arrive to take us home for the weekend.) They are unexpected and can take up to 5 hours. Today, I had the intentions of coming home at 3:00 to relax for a bit, run, then pack for Tegus. To my surprise, I learned that we had to make elaborate posters for a parade on Monday at 3:15 p.m when the bus was 15 minutes late. I never did leave school until 7:00p.m tonight. I think it is a law in Juticalpa that anything that takes a lot of concentration, detail, and effort is supposed to take place when the work week is OVER.

-Secondly, Hondurans apparently don't believe in the usage of napkins or appropriate cutlery. I learned that this week through the celebrations of "Dia Del Nino" and a birthday party. Birthday cake? Who needs a plate or a fork for that? Ice Cream in a cup? Who needs a spoon! Also, Honduran's have no issue with giving a six year old hyperactive child a huge slice of cake, Pepsi, AND pixie sticks at 9:00 in the morning. Sure, why not put as much sugar in a child as possible before they are supposed to sit still for a 60 minute class spoken in a language that they do not understand. No problem, right? Might as well throw some ice cream in there too! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is Fr Jim O'Driscoll and I am still praying for you all.