Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Well, tomorrow marks 5 weeks since I have arrived in Juticalpa. I have to admit that the time is starting to fly a lot faster, and I almost feel as though I have no one real story to report this week. I guess that is what happens when you have been somewhere for an extended period of time and start to fall into a routine. The past week has been just that: a start of feeling like I am falling into a routine, and it's kind of a nice feeling!
In any case, I have been extremely busy over the past week or so, between social events and planning at school, and just overall exhaustion (I have to report that I went to bed at 7:30p.m, as I was totally wiped out!). I go to bed REALLY early and I sleep like a baby here, which is a nice change from when I am home in the states and I lie awake at night worrying about different obligations for the next day or listening to my college-aged neighbors blast "Beat It" on repeat at all hours of the night when I have to get up the next day for work. I just made the realization that I am learning to sleep through the nightly serenade of various farm animals as well and I never thought that I would. Si, I think I am starting to get adjusted!
Probably the best news I have to report as of late is the progress that my students are beginning to make. It is slow progress and it takes every single ounce of energy within me to teach daily, but my students are beginning to conform to my behavioral expectations. Additionally, they have begun coming up to me and asking me to use the bathroom or go get a glass of water in beautiful English. When they learn to say something new in my language, they run up to me excitedly and are so proud of themselves. They are so eager to learn and unafraid to make mistakes, and I admire that about them. I still feel really embarassed to even make attempts to speak Spanish, as I feel as though I sound really ridiculous. I also worry about my grammar being correct, even though right now I know that it is more important to just relay the messages that I want to get across. Today I took a look at my students and their attitude towards learning a new language. I decided today that in a lot of ways they are teaching ME a lot more than I am actually teaching them. They greet me every morning with lots of hugs, kisses, and flowers hand-picked from their gardens. The boys have taken to greeting me every morning with a "Misssssss estas es muy linda!" (Miss, you are very pretty/beautiful) and my little girls like to draw me pictures and play with my hair. I guess that despite the fact that I feel like all I do is nag them and have to criticize negative behavior; they really do love me! I am starting to really enjoy the challenge of teaching them, and I adore having my very own classroom for the first time. I am starting to feel really lucky to be here!
I am keeping this post short as I have a lot to do. I do have a few stories I would like to share with you all, but I have to get through some curriculum planning tonight and the effects of another huge dinner are starting to wear on me (i.e...fatigue from overeating!). Therefore, I will post some more this weekend when I can collect all of my thoughts. I know a lot of you probably haven't heard from me over the past few days/week. We have been having some connectivity problems at our house and our internet has been VERY slow. Just know that I am thinking of you always and love all of your inspirational emails and kind words. Love you!

No comments: